Beef and sweet potato stew
Ingredients: 750g (11/2lb) beef skirt or stewing beef, cut into cubes 2 tbsps olive oil 1/4 tsp turmeric 1/2 tsp paprika 1 tsp ground ginger 1/4 tsp ground cumin a pinch of cayenne pepper 1 large onion, peeled and chopped 3 tbsps each chopped parsley and
750g (11/2lb) beef skirt or stewing beef, cut into cubes
2 tbsps olive oil
1/4 tsp turmeric
You may also want to watch:
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 3 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 6 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 7 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 10 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
1/4 tsp ground cumin
a pinch of cayenne pepper
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
3 tbsps each chopped parsley and fresh coriander
450g (1lb) sweet potatoes
2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
salt and black pepper
HEAT the oil in a large pan and lightly brown the beef on all sides. Add the turmeric, salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 min, then add all the remaining spices, the onion and herbs with 4fl oz water.
Mix well, cover and simmer gently for 11/2 hours on a low heat until the meat is tender. Add a little water if the stew becomes too dry.
Meanwhile, peel and cut the sweet potatoes into thick slices. Cook in boiling salted water for 5 min, until almost cooked but still firm. Drain.
Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180 deg C, 350 deg F.
Pour the meat and all the sauce into a shallow wide ovenproof dish. Top with the sweet potato slices and the sliced tomatoes, sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper.
Cover with foil and bake in the oven until the potatoes are tender, about 30 min.
Serve with a green leafy vegetable, cabbage or greens. Serves four.