Beef and sweet potato stew
Ingredients: 750g (11/2lb) beef skirt or stewing beef, cut into cubes 2 tbsps olive oil 1/4 tsp turmeric 1/2 tsp paprika 1 tsp ground ginger 1/4 tsp ground cumin a pinch of cayenne pepper 1 large onion, peeled and chopped 3 tbsps each chopped parsley and
750g (11/2lb) beef skirt or stewing beef, cut into cubes
2 tbsps olive oil
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 6 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 7 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 8 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 9 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 10 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
1/4 tsp ground cumin
a pinch of cayenne pepper
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
3 tbsps each chopped parsley and fresh coriander
450g (1lb) sweet potatoes
2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
salt and black pepper
HEAT the oil in a large pan and lightly brown the beef on all sides. Add the turmeric, salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 min, then add all the remaining spices, the onion and herbs with 4fl oz water.
Mix well, cover and simmer gently for 11/2 hours on a low heat until the meat is tender. Add a little water if the stew becomes too dry.
Meanwhile, peel and cut the sweet potatoes into thick slices. Cook in boiling salted water for 5 min, until almost cooked but still firm. Drain.
Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180 deg C, 350 deg F.
Pour the meat and all the sauce into a shallow wide ovenproof dish. Top with the sweet potato slices and the sliced tomatoes, sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper.
Cover with foil and bake in the oven until the potatoes are tender, about 30 min.
Serve with a green leafy vegetable, cabbage or greens. Serves four.