Ingredients: 3 large aubergines 7 ripe tomatoes olive oil 100g (4oz) fresh parsley 3 garlic cloves 4 tbsps brown breadcrumbs 1 tbsp basil leaves THIS is good cold as a first course in summer. Quantities are for 4 people. Slice the aubergines and sprinkle
3 large aubergines
7 ripe tomatoes
You may also want to watch:
100g (4oz) fresh parsley
3 garlic cloves
- 1 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 2 Royston woman celebrates 100th birthday after living in town for 53 years
- 3 'It's such a relief' - Shops, pubs and more reopen as lockdown eases
- 4 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 5 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 6 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 7 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 8 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 9 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 10 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
4 tbsps brown breadcrumbs
1 tbsp basil leaves
THIS is good cold as a first course in summer. Quantities are for 4 people.
Slice the aubergines and sprinkle with salt. Cover with tea-towel and leave for an hour to drain. Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 7, 220 deg C, 426 deg F.
Peel, seed and slice the tomatoes. Rinse the aubergine slices and dry on paper towels.
Mix together the breadcrumbs, finely chopped parsley, basil and crushed garlic cloves.
Rub the inside of an earthenware baking dish or small casserole dish with olive oil, then line with a layer of aubergines, then a layer of sliced tomatoes. Cover with a layer of the parsley mixture. Season with salt and black pepper. Continue adding layers until the mixture and vegetables are used up, finishing with a breadcrumb layer.
Pour a couple of tbsps olive oil over the top. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 min, or until soft right through. Leave to cool.