Ingredients: 3 large aubergines 7 ripe tomatoes olive oil 100g (4oz) fresh parsley 3 garlic cloves 4 tbsps brown breadcrumbs 1 tbsp basil leaves THIS is good cold as a first course in summer. Quantities are for 4 people. Slice the aubergines and sprinkle
3 large aubergines
7 ripe tomatoes
You may also want to watch:
100g (4oz) fresh parsley
3 garlic cloves
- 1 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 2 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 5 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 6 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 7 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 8 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 9 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 10 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
4 tbsps brown breadcrumbs
1 tbsp basil leaves
THIS is good cold as a first course in summer. Quantities are for 4 people.
Slice the aubergines and sprinkle with salt. Cover with tea-towel and leave for an hour to drain. Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 7, 220 deg C, 426 deg F.
Peel, seed and slice the tomatoes. Rinse the aubergine slices and dry on paper towels.
Mix together the breadcrumbs, finely chopped parsley, basil and crushed garlic cloves.
Rub the inside of an earthenware baking dish or small casserole dish with olive oil, then line with a layer of aubergines, then a layer of sliced tomatoes. Cover with a layer of the parsley mixture. Season with salt and black pepper. Continue adding layers until the mixture and vegetables are used up, finishing with a breadcrumb layer.
Pour a couple of tbsps olive oil over the top. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 min, or until soft right through. Leave to cool.