Ingredients: 3 large aubergines 7 ripe tomatoes olive oil 100g (4oz) fresh parsley 3 garlic cloves 4 tbsps brown breadcrumbs 1 tbsp basil leaves THIS is good cold as a first course in summer. Quantities are for 4 people. Slice the aubergines and sprinkle
3 large aubergines
7 ripe tomatoes
100g (4oz) fresh parsley
3 garlic cloves
- 1 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 2 Therfield pub celebrates lockdown heroes
- 3 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 4 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 5 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
- 6 Royston Methodists welcome leading figures to church
- 7 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 8 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 10 Family-run bridalwear shop closes down after 23 years
4 tbsps brown breadcrumbs
1 tbsp basil leaves
THIS is good cold as a first course in summer. Quantities are for 4 people.
Slice the aubergines and sprinkle with salt. Cover with tea-towel and leave for an hour to drain. Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 7, 220 deg C, 426 deg F.
Peel, seed and slice the tomatoes. Rinse the aubergine slices and dry on paper towels.
Mix together the breadcrumbs, finely chopped parsley, basil and crushed garlic cloves.
Rub the inside of an earthenware baking dish or small casserole dish with olive oil, then line with a layer of aubergines, then a layer of sliced tomatoes. Cover with a layer of the parsley mixture. Season with salt and black pepper. Continue adding layers until the mixture and vegetables are used up, finishing with a breadcrumb layer.
Pour a couple of tbsps olive oil over the top. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 min, or until soft right through. Leave to cool.