Ingredients: 3 large aubergines 7 ripe tomatoes olive oil 100g (4oz) fresh parsley 3 garlic cloves 4 tbsps brown breadcrumbs 1 tbsp basil leaves THIS is good cold as a first course in summer. Quantities are for 4 people. Slice the aubergines and sprinkle
3 large aubergines
7 ripe tomatoes
You may also want to watch:
100g (4oz) fresh parsley
3 garlic cloves
- 1 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 2 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 3 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 4 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 5 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 6 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 7 Wildlife enthusiast wins photographic society's 'print of the year'
- 8 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 9 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 10 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
4 tbsps brown breadcrumbs
1 tbsp basil leaves
THIS is good cold as a first course in summer. Quantities are for 4 people.
Slice the aubergines and sprinkle with salt. Cover with tea-towel and leave for an hour to drain. Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 7, 220 deg C, 426 deg F.
Peel, seed and slice the tomatoes. Rinse the aubergine slices and dry on paper towels.
Mix together the breadcrumbs, finely chopped parsley, basil and crushed garlic cloves.
Rub the inside of an earthenware baking dish or small casserole dish with olive oil, then line with a layer of aubergines, then a layer of sliced tomatoes. Cover with a layer of the parsley mixture. Season with salt and black pepper. Continue adding layers until the mixture and vegetables are used up, finishing with a breadcrumb layer.
Pour a couple of tbsps olive oil over the top. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 min, or until soft right through. Leave to cool.