Apple and orange pie
Ingredients 225g (8oz) plain flour 110g (4oz) unsalted butter a pinch of salt 750g (1 1 lb) cooking apples 1 large ripe orange 1 tbsp marmalade 2 tbsp clear honey 1 tsp cinnamon Method Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 5 /190 deg C/375 deg F. Sieve the flou
225g (8oz) plain flour
110g (4oz) unsalted butter
a pinch of salt
750g (1 1/2 lb) cooking apples
1 large ripe orange
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 9 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 10 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
1 tbsp marmalade
2 tbsp clear honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 5 /190 deg C/375 deg F.
Sieve the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add sufficient very cold water to mix to a firm dough, knead lightly until smooth.
Roll out half the pastry in a floured board and use to line a 7in buttered pie dish. Prick the base of the pastry, fill with foil and baking beans and bake in the oven for 15 mins.
Remove the foil and baking beans and return to the oven for a further 5 mins, then remove and allow to cool.
Peel, core and slice the apples.
Cook them in a saucepan over medium heat with the honey and cinnamon, plus a little water if necessary, until soft. Add the marmalade and mix well. Peel and slice the orange very thinly.
Fill the pastry case with apple puree, add the orange slices on top. Roll out the rest of the pastry and place on top of the pie, damping the edges to join to the base. Make a small hole in the centre of the pastry.
Bake in the oven for 20 mins. Serve hot or cold with whipped cream or yoghurt.