Apple and orange pie
Ingredients 225g (8oz) plain flour 110g (4oz) unsalted butter a pinch of salt 750g (1 1 lb) cooking apples 1 large ripe orange 1 tbsp marmalade 2 tbsp clear honey 1 tsp cinnamon Method Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 5 /190 deg C/375 deg F. Sieve the flou
225g (8oz) plain flour
110g (4oz) unsalted butter
a pinch of salt
You may also want to watch:
750g (1 1/2 lb) cooking apples
1 large ripe orange
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 5 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 8 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
1 tbsp marmalade
2 tbsp clear honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 5 /190 deg C/375 deg F.
Sieve the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add sufficient very cold water to mix to a firm dough, knead lightly until smooth.
Roll out half the pastry in a floured board and use to line a 7in buttered pie dish. Prick the base of the pastry, fill with foil and baking beans and bake in the oven for 15 mins.
Remove the foil and baking beans and return to the oven for a further 5 mins, then remove and allow to cool.
Peel, core and slice the apples.
Cook them in a saucepan over medium heat with the honey and cinnamon, plus a little water if necessary, until soft. Add the marmalade and mix well. Peel and slice the orange very thinly.
Fill the pastry case with apple puree, add the orange slices on top. Roll out the rest of the pastry and place on top of the pie, damping the edges to join to the base. Make a small hole in the centre of the pastry.
Bake in the oven for 20 mins. Serve hot or cold with whipped cream or yoghurt.