TODAY 1978 Naomi James became the first woman to sail single-handed around the world. 1999 MP Jonathan Aitken jailed for 18 months for perjury. Birthdays: Ray Illingworth, ex-England Test cricket captain, 74; Nancy Sinatra, singer, 66; Colin Baker, ex-Dr
1978 Naomi James became the first woman to sail single-handed around the world.
1999 MP Jonathan Aitken jailed for 18 months for perjury.
Birthdays: Ray Illingworth, ex-England Test cricket captain, 74; Nancy Sinatra, singer, 66; Colin Baker, ex-Dr Who, 63; Bonnie Tyler, singer-songwriter, 53; Mick Hucknall, from Simply Red, 46.
You may also want to watch:
1920 George V opened the Imperial War Museum.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 5 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 8 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
1983 Margaret Thatcher won a landslide second General Election.
1988 Mike Gatting sacked as England Test cricket captain.
Birthdays: Patricia Cornwell, crime novelist, 50; Johnny Depp, actor, 43; Natalie Portman, actress, 25.
1829 First Boat Race between Oxford and Cambridge.
1967 The Six-Day War came to an end in the Middle East.
Birthdays: Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, 85; Elizabeth Hurley, actress, 41.
1952 Cricket legend Denis Compton scored his 100th century.
1964 Nelson Mandela sentenced to life imprisonment for acts of sabotage.
Birthdays: Gene Wilder, actor, 73; Jackie Stewart, ex-Grand Prix motor-racing world champion, 67.
1963 The premiere of the multi-million dollar Cleopatra took place, in New York.
1987 Margaret Thatcher elected as Prime Minister for a third term.
Birthdays: George Bush, ex-US President, 82.
1893 First British Ladies Golf Championship took place, at Royal Lytham & St Anne's.
1956 First European Cup Final won by Real Madrid.
1999 One-time Eurovision Song Contest winner Dana Scallon became an Irish Euro MP.
Birthdays: Malcolm McDowell, actor, 63; Simon Callow, actor, 57; Alan Hansen, Match of the Day soccer expert, 51.
1645 The Royalist were beaten by the Parliamentarians in a decisive battle at Naseby.
1839 First Henley Regatta took place.
1982 The Falklands War ended.
Birthdays: Donald Trump, tycoon, 60; Paul O'Grady, otherwise known as Lily Savage, 51; Boy George, singer-songwriter, 45; Steffi Graf, ex-Wimbledon women's champion, 37.