30 years ago
The unique Royston war memorial became the victim of an attack of vandalism when three figures were damaged. The then mayor Duncan Ferguson described it as the worst piece of vandalism in Royston . Cllr Ferguson said he was sad and ashamed that such an
The unique Royston war memorial became the victim of an attack of vandalism when three figures were damaged.
The then mayor Duncan Ferguson described it as "the worst piece of vandalism in Royston".
Cllr Ferguson said he was "sad and ashamed" that such an attack could take place.
He said it was a criminal act that "struck at the heart of the community".
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Ferguson immediately launched an appeal to meet the costs of repair work.
Police later arrested two 16-year-olds and a 22-year-old man who were accused of causing criminal damage.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 3 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 4 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 5 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 6 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 7 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 8 Huge splash of support for Meldreth diver Dan Goodfellow
- 9 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter