30 years ago
The unique Royston war memorial became the victim of an attack of vandalism when three figures were damaged. The then mayor Duncan Ferguson described it as the worst piece of vandalism in Royston . Cllr Ferguson said he was sad and ashamed that such an
The unique Royston war memorial became the victim of an attack of vandalism when three figures were damaged.
The then mayor Duncan Ferguson described it as "the worst piece of vandalism in Royston".
Cllr Ferguson said he was "sad and ashamed" that such an attack could take place.
He said it was a criminal act that "struck at the heart of the community".
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Ferguson immediately launched an appeal to meet the costs of repair work.
Police later arrested two 16-year-olds and a 22-year-old man who were accused of causing criminal damage.
- 1 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 2 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 3 Pupils to return to school as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 North Hertfordshire's inspirational volunteers recognised in awards
- 5 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
- 6 Aircraft museum celebrates 85 years since the Spitfire's maiden flight
- 7 Council tax set to rise in South Cambs to help support frontline services
- 8 Have your say at virtual town meeting
- 9 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 10 Pupils become journalists for class topic