30 years ago
The unique Royston war memorial became the victim of an attack of vandalism when three figures were damaged. The then mayor Duncan Ferguson described it as the worst piece of vandalism in Royston . Cllr Ferguson said he was sad and ashamed that such an
The unique Royston war memorial became the victim of an attack of vandalism when three figures were damaged.
The then mayor Duncan Ferguson described it as "the worst piece of vandalism in Royston".
Cllr Ferguson said he was "sad and ashamed" that such an attack could take place.
He said it was a criminal act that "struck at the heart of the community".
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Ferguson immediately launched an appeal to meet the costs of repair work.
Police later arrested two 16-year-olds and a 22-year-old man who were accused of causing criminal damage.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 5 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 6 Extra Car Park Panto date added for IWM Duxford
- 7 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 8 Fundraising walk for Citizens Advice 'a resounding success'
- 9 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 10 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition