The village hall in Croydon - known as the Reading Room - is reopening to the public following a three-year restoration project.

Built by the Dowling family in 1910, the Reading Room is now a place for villagers to meet and socialise.

The hall has been fitted with new French doors, opening onto a terrace with a play area for children, a barbecue area and seating.

Inside there is a new floor, new roller blinds, baby changing facilities, free WiFi, and eco-friendly heating - and the building has been redecorated both inside and out.

There are new porches and disabled access, and the front green space now contains both a jubilee and a coronation garden.


A free cheese and wine session will be held at 4pm on Saturday, May 20 to celebrate the reopening and thank supporters, including South Cambs District Council, Croydon Parish Council, The Low Carbon Workshop, The Wood Grill, Jewson's of Royston and The Bernard Sunley Foundation - as well as all the villagers of Croydon and their friends who contributed.

Any villagers who attend the cheese and wine session will get the chance to be in a celebratory photo.

To book the hall go to