Rhythms of the World 2013 festival cancelled
PUBLISHED: 10:38 04 February 2013 | UPDATED: 10:48 04 February 2013
THERE will be NO Rhythms of the World 2013 festival in Hertfordshire this summer.
Organisers of the world music bonanza based in Hitchin made the announcement today (Monday).
The two-day event took place in the grounds of Hitchin Priory last year, but the site’s owners decided not to host the festival this July after poor weather turned the venue into a mudbath.
Rhythms volunteers have been unable to find an alternative venue to stage the 2013 festival.
It is the second high profile festival casualty in the county, after Sonisphere promoters confirmed they would not be returning to Knebworth Park this year.
A statement from ROTW organisers said: “It is with much regret that we have to inform you that there with be no Rhythms of the World festival in 2013.
“As you know from our recent e-newsletter, we were told by Chartridge Conference Company (the owners of Hitchin Priory) in September 2012 that we could no longer hold the festival there.
“Since then, we have spoken to a number of landowners interested in hosting future festivals.
“However, considering it is now February and, despite our very best efforts we have no venue confirmed, the trustees and group leaders have taken the very difficult decision not to hold a festival this year.
“As well as not having a great deal of time between now and July, a number of key volunteers have stepped down in recent months (after years of long and loyal service) and we have not been able to fill these positions.
“Without these key people, we simply would not be able to raise and manage the income required to put on a festival this summer.”
The Rhythms statement added: “We know this is hugely disappointing news and it was not an easy decision.
“However, we are hopeful that we will secure a site for the 2014 festival very soon and will let you know when we do.”