No Sonisphere 2013 festival at Knebworth

15:53 21 December 2012

Sonisphere 2013 at Knebworth House has been cancelled

Sonisphere 2013 at Knebworth House has been cancelled

Daniel Wilson

THERE will be no Sonisphere Festival 2013 at Knebworth House next summer.

It is the second year running the UK leg of the touring rock and metal event at the Hertfordshire stately home has been axed by promoters.

A tweet from the festival’s official Twitter page today (Friday) said: “Sonisphere UK is not on in 2013, couldn’t make it work.”

The news comes just weeks after festival co-founder Stuart Galbraith told reporters: “We’re working on a bill now, hopefully to announce before Christmas.”

That line-up, however, failed to materialise with suitable headliners not available and the plug has now been pulled on the festival for next summer.

A statement from festival organisers released today said: “Team Sonisphere is sad to say that it has now been confirmed that Sonisphere UK will take a year off in 2013.

“The three Sonisphere Festivals to date at Knebworth in 2009/2010/2011 set a very high standard and indeed 2011 was voted the best festival line-up by the UK Festival Awards.

“We think it is really important that the event only runs when it has a line-up that sets it apart from the competition whilst also carrying a ticket price that allows us to offer real value for money to the music fans.

“We were hoping to do that in 2013 but unfortunately it wasn’t possible to fulfil both aims with the principle problem of there being a lack of available headliners of the calibre of previous festivals at Knebworth.

“We made offers to over a dozen major artists but for various reasons none of these offers lead to securing a strong bill.”

Team Sonisphere’s statement added: “We have already started work on Sonisphere UK 2014 so hope to be able to bring you news about that later next year.”

0 comments

Yesterday, 16:03
Hertfordshire police and crime commissioner David Lloyd has said a proposed council tax freeze won't affect recruitment.

Herts’ police and crime commissioner has said a proposed freeze in the force’s council tax precept won’t affect a recruitment drive.

Yesterday, 14:02
A survey has found calls to a debt helpline go up across the area.

The number of people in Stevenage and North Herts turning to debt advice services for help has risen by almost 20 per cent in the last year, new figures show.

Yesterday, 09:25
A10 cycling corridor campaigners Rod Taylor, John Meadows, Tina Filby, Erika Bosman and Susan van de Ven.

A county councillor has spoken of her ‘astonishment’ after plans for a £7.2 million cycling ‘super highway’ connecting Royston and Cambridge were put on hold.

Yesterday, 08:32
Jose Hales, district and parish council and Val Barrett, district and parish council

The organiser of a public exhibition revealing a developer’s plans to build just under 200 homes and a 75 bed care home in Melbourn said he’s pleased with the interest generated by the public.

”North

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Royston Crow e-edition today E-edition