Line-up announced for Welwyn Garden City music festival
PUBLISHED: 10:26 28 February 2014 | UPDATED: 21:53 01 March 2014
The line-up has been announced for a Welwyn Garden City-based music festival.
The headliners for the Herts Jazz Festival 2014 have been confirmed.
The acclaimed music festival returns to the Hawthorne Theatre, at Campus West, from Friday, September 12 to Sunday, September 14.
And the three-day jazz bonanza will be headlined by the Big Chris Barber Band, the John Taylor Quartet and Georgie Fame with the Alan Skidmore Quartet.
Jazz great Chris Barber will return to his hometown to top the bill on the opening night with his band, with the John Taylor Quartet headlining on the Saturday.
Georgie Fame, who also appeared at last year’s festival, will round off the 2014 showcase with the Alan Skidmore Quartet on the Sunday evening.
There are plenty of other big names from the British jazz scene on the programme, including Ben Castle, Art Themen, Jean Toussaint, Orphy Robinson & Anthony Kerr, Clark Tracey, James Pearson, JJ Wheeler and many more.
This will be the fourth Herts Jazz Festival held in Welwyn Garden City and will have a similar format to last year’s event, which proved very popular, with free-of-charge sessions in the foyer during the session intervals and after hours.
Festival director Clark Tracey said: “We are proud to have established the Herts Jazz Festival as part of the British jazz calendar.
“I think we’ve got something for every jazz-lover over the weekend, from the legend that is Chris Barber, who was born in Welwyn Garden City, to up-and-coming new star JJ Wheeler.”
Festival weekend tickets will go on sale from May 1.
Full weekend tickets will cost £95, with Herts Jazz members paying £85 and students £30.
Early-bird discounts of £10 are available for tickets purchased before July 1.
Tickets will be on sale via the festival website at www.hertsjazzfestival.co.uk and at the Hawthorne Theatre box office on 01707 357117.
The full Herts Jazz Festival 2014 programme is:
* 8.30pm-11pm: The Big Chris Barber Band.
* 11pm-12.30am Brian Dee Trio.
* 11.30am-12.30pm James Pearson Trio – A history of jazz piano.
* 1pm-2pm: Art Themen Quartet.
* 2pm-3pm: Nigel Price solo.
* 3.15pm-4.30pm: Ben Castle Quartet.
* 5pm-6.15pm: Jean Toussaint’s Blakey Tribute.
* 6.15pm-7.30pm: Michael De Souza duo.
* 7.45pm-10.15pm: John Taylor Quartet.
* 10.30pm-12am: Leon Greening Trio.
* 11.30am-12.30pm: Herts Youth Jazz Ensemble.
* 1pm-2pm: Clark Tracey Quintet.
* 2pm-3pm: Mike Gorman solo.
* 3.15pm-4.30pm: JJ Wheeler Quintet.
* 5pm-6.15pm: Orphy Robinson/Anthony Kerr.
* 6.15pm-7.30pm: Alan Barnes/Dave Newton.
* 7.45pm-10.15pm: Georgie Fame + Alan Skidmore Quartet.