Town feel robbed after Police defeat

PUBLISHED: 11:05 12 January 2006 | UPDATED: 17:11 11 May 2010

Paul Attfield rued missed chances

Paul Attfield rued missed chances

MET POLICE BUSHEY 4 (Darby (2), Robinson, Shorto) BUNTINGFORD TOWN 1 (Garner) TOWN boss Paul Attfield admitted to being baffled after seeing his side again fail to take their chances and slump to a 4-1 defeat. For the opening half, I don't think I've se

MET POLICE BUSHEY 4 (Darby (2), Robinson, Shorto) BUNTINGFORD TOWN 1 (Garner) TOWN boss Paul Attfield admitted to being baffled after seeing his side again fail to take their chances and slump to a 4-1 defeat. "For the opening half, I don't think I've seen us play better this season and to be 2-1 down at half time from two deflected goals was gutting" said Attfield, pictured. However, once again we've had excellent chances to be three or four goals to the good and when you only convert one there is always a concern the opposition will get into the game. "The third goal killed the game for us and the youngsters looked a little demoralised, having put so much into the game which is understandable but we have got to start converting chances to relieve pressure." On Met Police's lovely playing surface, Town, encouraged by recent performances, started the game at a furious and confident pace and dominated the opening periods. With only a minute on the clock Dean Chaffey picked up a loose ball and thundered a 35 yard effort towards the goal that was superbly tipped over and from the half cleared corner the ball was worked into the right channel where Robbie Wilmott crossed for George Garner to head home from eight yards. Five minutes later Gary Christie received Tom Malins' through-ball but slotted wide of the right hand post and with their next attack Garner's pacy run and cross was just missed by John Bitting at the far post with the goal wide open. Keeper Damion Williamson had to be alert to make his first save on 26 minutes, blocking a Jason Darby drive but against the run of play Police equalised on 28 minutes. A 20 yard shot deflected off Mark Smith's knee and with Williamson wrong footed Darby tapped home the deflection. Ten minutes before half time the home side went in front when another shot just inside the box, going straight to Williamson, deflected off David Cain, hit the right post and rolled to Darby to tap in. Distraught with the half-time scoreline, Town were left deflated just two minutes after the break, Steve Robinson picked up a Dean Chaffey clearance and thumped a 40 yard shot into the top left corner for a quite brilliant goal. This clearly knocked the stuffing from Town as the home side took the initiative and started showing why they are one of the league's highest scorers with some neat attacking play. Williamson was called on to make three high class saves but Town also had their moments. Bitting had another one-on-one that was superbly saved by the home keeper and Tom Wisson, unmarked eight yards from goal, headed a George Garner wide. Ryan Shorto completed the scoring with 10 minutes remaining riffling a low 18 yard shot into the bottom corner after Town failed to clear a free kick. Buntingford: D Williamson, J Babbage, D Chaffey (T Jarman), D Easley, D Cain (G Smith), T Wisson (W Turl), M Smith, G Garner, G Christie, R Wilmott, J Bitting. - Town travel to high-flying Hatfield Town on Saturday in the Aubrey Cup quarter-final, kick off 1.30pm.


More news stories

Yesterday, 18:33

The woman tipped to temporarily take the reins at the region’s ambulance trust when the service’s chief executive steps down has a history of turning around a failing hospital.

Yesterday, 18:20

The team from a Melbourn salon and their friends have abseiled 300ft down a London tower to raise money for the National Autistic Society.

Yesterday, 13:31

Melbourn Village College has taken part in the annual Make Your Mark ballot, the largest consultation of young people in the country.

Yesterday, 08:30

Major problems with our hospital trust’s phone lines means patients are struggling to get through, with one patient put on hold for more than two hours.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Royston Crow weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy