Dan at the double as Hares finish in style

PUBLISHED: 12:17 06 April 2006 | UPDATED: 14:38 12 May 2010

St Neots Town U-14 2 Hormead Hares 5 HORMEAD ended their season in style with a well-deserved victory, on Sunday. The visitors created numerous chances through the pace of Daniel Banks-Smith and Sam Benjamin up front, but fell behind midway through the

St Neots Town U-14 2 Hormead Hares 5 HORMEAD ended their season in style with a well-deserved victory, on Sunday. The visitors created numerous chances through the pace of Daniel Banks-Smith and Sam Benjamin up front, but fell behind midway through the first half. However they then stepped up another gear and totally dominated. A brace from Banks-Smith put Hares ahead at half-time, but then a lapse in concentration allowed the Saints to draw level. But some excellent passing and movement created more chances and it was DJ Winkworth who fired home a brace, before a close- range strike from Dave Turner sealed a very impressive win. Royston Celtic U-14 4 Bishop's Stortford Northolt 3 CELTIC started the game brightly on Sunday, scoring from a Mitchell Cooper corner after only eight minutes. Northolt responded and gained a corner of their own which was dealt with comfortably by debutant goalkeeper Haydn Barnard. A through ball from Adam Green was flicked on by Dion Jones to allow Conor Barnard to finish after 31 minutes for Celtic to have a 2-0 half-time lead. Five minutes into the second half Northolt were awarded a penalty which they converted despite Barnard going the correct way and getting his hand to the ball. Celtic then hit the bar through Conor Barnard but it was Northolt who scored the next goal of the game after a mix up in the Celtic defence. After 25 minutes of the half Tom Higton flicked on a throw-in for Lee Cooper to head home to restore Celtics lead and Barnard then struck his 30th of the season to give Celtic a two-goal cushion with only a minute remaining. However there was still time for Northolt to blast home the last goal of the game from a free-kick. Ashwell Accademicals U-10 3 Royston Colts 2 DESPITE maintaining their recent good form, Colts went down to a narrow defeat on Sunday. Colts began well, taking advantage of the slope and blustery conditions to take the lead. Max Mclean laid on an inch-perfect pass to in-form striker Victor Faletta, who notched his third goal in as many games. At the back, Ashley Chapman and Jordan Hall were in superb form backed by keeper, John Middlemass, who produced a fine save from an early Accies' free-kick. However, he could do little to prevent Accies' equaliser mid-way through the half after concerted pressure from the home side. Royston almost hit back straight from the restart, Jake Benstead hitting the crossbar after good work from McLean and Lucas Sekobawane. However, Accies took the lead, a terrific through-ball splitting Cots' defence to make it 2-1. Not to be outdone, Colts struck back just before the interval, Benstead equalising from distance after good work from McLean when his looping shot flew over the head of the despairing keeper. In the second half, Colts battled hard in difficult conditions to stay in contention, and as the half progressed, Ashwell began to play some neat football and almost took the lead from a couple of dangerous crosses whipped-in at pace, which whistled wide of Neil Smith's upright. Smith, on for Middlemass, then saved superbly to keep the scores all-square, his opposite number matching him with a terrific block to keep out a well-struck Stafford effort. There was little to choose between the sides as both missed chances to seal victory. Ashwell's greater pressure eventually told, though, tapping-in from a well-taken corner to take all three points but setting-up an intriguing rematch on the last day of the season. Royston Town Colts U-15 1 Austen Arrowheads 1 THE near gale force wind did its best to spoil any attempt there might have been for either side to play football. In a fairly uneventful first half the home side broke the deadlock when Karl Smith ran the ball into the visitors penalty area, only to be cleared to the feet of Nathan Benstead on the left hand edge of the penalty area. His first time effort looped over the keeper and into the net. The visitors equalised through a penalty in the 68th minute. Colts nearly regained their lead two minutes later when Jonathan Sell's ball into the penalty area found Smith running in, only to fire just over the crossbar.


More news stories

We asked a University of Hertfordshire astrophysicist for expert advice on watching incredible meteor showers in the night sky this weekend.


Melbourn Community Hub has hosted an exhibition to mark the centenary of the end of the First World War.

Yesterday, 16:43

A report has been written recognising the problems with the North Herts District Council waste contract, with two proposals to be discussed at a cabinet meeting next Tuesday.

Yesterday, 13:38

The team at a Bassingbourn hair salon have held a fundraising day to raise money for The Royal British Legion.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Royston Crow weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy