Baldock through to semi-final

PUBLISHED: 11:15 13 February 2007 | UPDATED: 14:59 12 May 2010

Baldock Town 3 Ware Lions 0 BALDOCK marched through to the Semi-Final of the Herts Junior Cup with a hard fought 3-0 win over Hertford & District League side Ware Lions. The Reds will now meet either Greenbury United or Hadley A in the last four at the

Baldock Town 3 Ware Lions 0

BALDOCK marched through to the Semi-Final of the Herts Junior Cup with a hard fought 3-0 win over Hertford & District League side Ware Lions.

The Reds will now meet either Greenbury United or Hadley 'A' in the last four at "the Slope" on March 10.

Lions arrived in confident mood after going unbeaten in their league so far this term and had only suffered two cup defeats after extra time prior to this.

The first effort of the match came in the fourth minute when Lee Rusbridge was fed by Ben Lowden down the right and despite the cross looking harmless enough, the keeper made a hash of it, but no-one was on hand to take advantage.

The visitors then went close to grabbing the lead when a cross from the right beat everyone only for the ball to drop for the nippy Lions forward who struck the ball straight at the covering Reds defender.

Reds keeper McEwan very nearly gifted Lions the lead on 26 minutes when he came to punch a long ball over the top. His misguided punch went straight to a Lions forward, only to see him hook over from 10 yards with the goal unguarded.

Just after the half hour Cameron Brawley was desperately unlucky not to give Baldock the lead. A well flighted corner from Rusbridge was met superbly by the airborne Brawley, whose powerful header was hooked off the line.

A minute later Baldock did grab the lead when Sam Crow played a channelled ball that caught the visitors defence square, which enabled Harry Holland to race clear. Baldock's top marksman took a touch to settle himself before lifting the ball over the on-rushing keeper to give Reds the advantage.

The visitors were now rattled and Baldock had two more golden opportunities before the break to extend their lead.

First Lee Buck beat the offside trap, but the keeper smothered the danger well, when it seemed the Reds skipper was certain to score. Mark Nunn then also got in behind the Lions defence and crashed his close range effort onto the bar with only the keeper to beat.

Lions went agonisingly close in the first minutes of the second period when a run along the bye-line saw the ball driven under McEwan, but the ball was hooked clear in the nick of time.

The visitors were now on top and really testing the Reds defence to the limit. Just before the hour Michael Masters replaced Rusbridge to give some added pace on the flank.

It was introduction of Masters that began to sway the tide as Baldock began to look dangerous on the attack again.

With 15 minutes to go, Nunn was put clear and as the ball sat up he lobbed the ball over the keeper but just the wrong side of the post.

Masters went close shortly after when the ball looped up into the air and his effort on the volley was skewed wide of the target.

The Reds got the all important second goal with two minutes to go, when a Smith cross was half cleared. Masters then hit the ball back in first time from the left and there was Buck unmarked, he took a touch and calmly slotted home to seal the tie.

There was still time for another when the tireless Nunn played through Adam Shelley who raced clear, rounded the keeper and finished to give the scoreline a perhaps slightly flattering gloss.

This was not a vintage Reds display, but they are now in three cup semi-finals and looking good for some silverware come the end of the season.


More news stories


The team at family support charity Home-Start Royston & South Cambridgeshire have had a “wonderful evening” at a fundraising Fashion Party in Melbourn.

Astronomers from the University of Hertfordshire have confirmed the existence of a frozen planet orbiting the fastest star in the sky.


The public inquiry into whether Reed’s only pub should be turned permanently into a house concluded on Wednesday last week, and now pub supporters and the current owner have reflected on the three-day hearing.

Yesterday, 17:20

The A505 heading towards Royston from Baldock is closed after a tractor – which was transporting cattle – overturned.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Royston Crow weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy