Commonwealth Middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders hungry for more titles

16:00 02 May 2012

Billy Joe Saunders against Tony Hill

Billy Joe Saunders against Tony Hill

Archant

NEW Commonwealth Middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders says his first round destruction of Tony Hill at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday was a signal of intent.

In the first boxing show at the London venue for 13 years, Saunders blew away Hill in just 30 seconds of their headlining bout, and he is hungry for more belts.

The Hatfield 22-year-old caught Southampton’s Hill with a sensational right hand moments after the encounter for the vacant title began.

With his opponent stunned, the Herts hitter seized his opportunity and unloaded a barrage of punches forcing the referee to call a premature halt to proceedings as Saunders secured his 13th successive victory since turning professional in 2008.

Speaking afterwards exclusively to the WHT in his Royal Albert Hall dressing room, Saunders said: “I caught him early and that was it, it was an early night.

“People were saying to me it was going to be a hard fight.

“I caught him with a big shot and hurt him and carried on from there.

“He [Hill] went the distance with Kerry Hope, the European champion, and I just did that, so it’s a big statement from me to let the boys know I’m ready and coming for their titles.”

Saunders is next set to make the first defence of his Commonwealth title on June 2 at York Hall, London.

He added: “Hopefully now I will defend this and keep it and be back on the road.

Of performing at the Albert Hall, where his idol Nigel Benn defended the same Commonwealth title in the late 1980s, Saunders added: “It’s unbelievable, I’d love to come back and box here again.”

The Albert Hall has a fabulous boxing history. Prior to Saunders’ fight a 10-bell salute was held in memory of Terry Spinks who died last week at the age of 74. Spinks, who won Olympic gold in 1956, fought at the venue three times.

Of the return to boxing at the Royal Albert Hall, promoter Frank Warren said: “We’re absolutely delighted to be back here, it’s a great arena.”

Reacting to Saunders’ victory, Warren added: “It was very short and sweet. He caught him [Hill] with a tremendous shot, an overhand right.

“He just didn’t let him off the hook and just did what he had to do, it was a very impressive performance.

“To step up and top the bill here was some call, but he went out, did what he had to do and did it in style.

“We had a good turn out from Hertfordshire and he did the business.”

Related articles

0 comments

Yesterday, 18:01
The Local Plan will be discussed at the full North Herts District Council meeting tonight.

A draft plan which will shape the future makeup of North Herts will be discussed tonight before a public consultation is launched.

Yesterday, 15:51
A planning application has been submitted for approximately 200 homes in Melbourn.

An application has now been submitted for around 200 new homes to be built off New Road in Melbourn.

Yesterday, 11:56
The fire at Bridgefoot Quarry is expected to burn for the next seven days.

A county councillor has claimed that the large wood recycling plant near Melbourn which continues to burn out is a drain on the public purse.

Yesterday, 08:31
Back row left to right Don's daughter-in-law Lee Ann West, Melbourn county councillor Susan van de Ven and Melbourn district councillor Val Barrett. Front row Southwell Court resident Don West and Melbourn district councillor Jose Hales.

The group which is closing a care home in Melbourn has been accused of dishonest behaviour by concerned councillors.

”North

Most read stories

E-edition