Anstey quarry lorry movements investigated amid claims number has tripled

PUBLISHED: 07:46 08 August 2018 | UPDATED: 07:46 08 August 2018

Anstey Quarry. Picture: DANNY LOO

Anstey Quarry. Picture: DANNY LOO

©2018 Danny Loo Photography - all rights reserved

The firm which runs a quarry in Anstey is being investigated for breaching its licensing conditions – after claims there are more than triple the amount of daily lorry journeys to and from the site than permitted.

A lorry heading to Anstey Quarry. Picture: DANNY LOOA lorry heading to Anstey Quarry. Picture: DANNY LOO

Winters Haulage runs the Anstey Quarry off the B1368 – which serves Barkway, Barley and Nuthampstead nearby. The Environment Agency attended with the police last week to issue a stop notice.

Herts county councillor Jeff Jones, who represents Anstey as part of his Buntingford seat, said he has been concerned about the number of lorries for months.

He told the Crow: “They are meant to have 60 lorries, 30 in and 30 out a day, and they have 220. They are taking the mickey.

Anstey Quarry. Picture: DANNY LOOAnstey Quarry. Picture: DANNY LOO

“We have been battling this for months and months, with Herts County Council installing a counter and a drone after we expressed concerns.

“They speed through the villages and these rural areas cannot cope with the sheer volume of HGVs.

“They have a wheelwash facility at the front entrance, and it appears they’ve never used it – there’s mud and dirt everywhere.

Anstey Quarry. Picture: DANNY LOOAnstey Quarry. Picture: DANNY LOO

“We appreciate the quarry has been there a long time, they are a business and chalk is a commodity that’s needed, but this is a nightmare for residents along the B1368 and something needs to be done.”

The Crow contacted Winters at Anstey Quarry, but the Hitchin-based firm declined to comment. The Environment Agency said with an investigation taking place it was unable to comment.

On Friday, a spokesman for HCC said: “Hertfordshire County Council has been working closely with the Environment Agency in the past few months to address concerns with regards to the number of HGV movements associated with Anstey Quarry and compliance with the approved landform.

“As a result, this week, we served a breach of condition notice in respect of the number of HGV movements. The notice takes effect after 30 days, and there is no right of appeal.

“The notice requires that the operator adheres to the authorised number of vehicle movements (60 movements per day Monday to Friday – 30 in, 30 out – and 40 movements on Saturdays). Failure to comply with the requirements of the notice may render the operator liable to prosecution.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Royston Crow visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Royston Crow staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Royston Crow account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

06:56

With the festive season approaching, Melbourn Amateur Dramatics Society are busy putting the final touches in their annual Christmas pantomime.

Yesterday, 16:55

Garden House Hospice Care held its first Strictly Come Dancing-inspired fundraiser in Letchworth on Saturday, and it was 10s all round on the night.

Yesterday, 12:15

A singing Royston accountant is set to release his debut single – with town businesses and organisations featuring in the charity video.

Yesterday, 11:51

The family of Royston dad-of-three Mitchell Bailey, who died when a fire engine crashed while responding to a 999 call have said their “happy and contented family has been left broken” and they feel the driver “showed no compassion”, after a jury found him not guilty of dangerous driving on Friday last week.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Royston Crow weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy