Victims of sexual assault by Libyan soldiers at Bassingbourn Barracks sue MoD for negligence

PUBLISHED: 16:32 07 March 2016 | UPDATED: 16:44 07 March 2016

Bassingbourn Barracks

Bassingbourn Barracks

Archant

A man raped by two Libyan soldiers based at Bassingbourn Barracks is suing the Ministry of Defence for compensation.

The victim is claiming compensation for negligence and breach of human rights following the attack in Cambridge City Centre in October 2014.

Another woman is suing in relation to a sexual assault on the same night.

Mukhtar Ali Saad Mahmoud, 33, and Ibrahim A Abugtila, 22, saw their victim in the city centre at around 3.30am, then followed him to Christ’s Pieces where they both raped him. The men were sentenced to 12 years each for the rape.

In a separate incident, three others – Khaled El Azibi, 19, Ibrahim Naji El Maarfi, aged 21, and Mohammed Abdalsalam, 27, pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting women on the same night.

A MoD spokeswoman said: “We can confirm that compensation claims have been received by the department. As the claims are ongoing we are unable to comment further.”

More than 300 trainees arrived at Bassingbourn Barracks in June 2014 as part of an agreement by the British government to help Libya after the collapse of Gaddafi’s regime, but were sent home after the sex attacks.

The MoD faced intense criticism from local people after the assaults for their handling of the situation.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Royston Crow visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Royston Crow staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Royston Crow account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

06:56

With the festive season approaching, Melbourn Amateur Dramatics Society are busy putting the final touches in their annual Christmas pantomime.

Yesterday, 16:55

Garden House Hospice Care held its first Strictly Come Dancing-inspired fundraiser in Letchworth on Saturday, and it was 10s all round on the night.

Yesterday, 12:15

A singing Royston accountant is set to release his debut single – with town businesses and organisations featuring in the charity video.

Yesterday, 11:51

The family of Royston dad-of-three Mitchell Bailey, who died when a fire engine crashed while responding to a 999 call have said their “happy and contented family has been left broken” and they feel the driver “showed no compassion”, after a jury found him not guilty of dangerous driving on Friday last week.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Royston Crow weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy