Six charged with conspiracy to committ fraud after phone scam raids

15:23 26 April 2014

Six men have been charged with conspiracy to committ fraud

Six men have been charged with conspiracy to committ fraud

Archant

Six men have been charged withg conspiracy to committ fraud following a series of raids related to a widespread phone scam.

The men, all from London, appeared at Cambridge Remand Court yesterday (Friday) after being charged and have been remanded in custody.

They were arrested on Wednesday following a number of warrants being carried out across North London by the Eastern Region Special Operations Unit.

These warrants were designed to target those suspected of being involved in a number of phone scams across the region including in Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire, where criminals would phone mainly elderly and vulnerable people and ask for information they could use to gain valuable items and money.

Detective Inspector Danny Lawrence, who led Wednesday’s operation, said: “Our robust approach to those suspected of being involved in phone scams will continue but I would like to remind the public that, whilst arrests are continuing to be made, people need to be aware that phone scams are still operating across the region.

“If you are suspicious about a telephone conversation you should end the call and contact police via the non-emergency number, 101. Remember to use a mobile phone or a friend’s phone or wait at least five minutes before calling to ensure you aren’t reconnected to the offender.

“Please also remember that your bank and the police would never ask for your bank account details or PIN number over the phone, never ask you to withdraw money and send it to them, and never ask you to send them your bank cards or any other personal property.”

The six charged, who are due to appear at Cambridge Crown Court on May 2, are as follows:

• Ibrahem Charary, 18, of Stanhope Street, London

• Gael Masidi, 19, of Royal College Street, London

• Marlon Thompson, 18, of Margery Street, London

• Abdullah Hajji, 19, of Flaxmen Terrace, London

• Langangi Amani, 19, of Lloyd Baker Street, London

• Rakeem Worthingon, 18, from Islington, London

Yesterday, 16:03
Hertfordshire police and crime commissioner David Lloyd has said a proposed council tax freeze won't affect recruitment.

Herts’ police and crime commissioner has said a proposed freeze in the force’s council tax precept won’t affect a recruitment drive.

Yesterday, 14:02
A survey has found calls to a debt helpline go up across the area.

The number of people in Stevenage and North Herts turning to debt advice services for help has risen by almost 20 per cent in the last year, new figures show.

Yesterday, 09:25
A10 cycling corridor campaigners Rod Taylor, John Meadows, Tina Filby, Erika Bosman and Susan van de Ven.

A county councillor has spoken of her ‘astonishment’ after plans for a £7.2 million cycling ‘super highway’ connecting Royston and Cambridge were put on hold.

Yesterday, 08:32
Jose Hales, district and parish council and Val Barrett, district and parish council

The organiser of a public exhibition revealing a developer’s plans to build just under 200 homes and a 75 bed care home in Melbourn said he’s pleased with the interest generated by the public.

”North

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Royston Crow e-edition today E-edition