Monday, October 14, 2013
A man exposed to asbestos more than 30 years ago is seeking compensation after becoming ill, he believes, as a result of the exposure.
Alan Kendall, 65, of Royston, was diagnosed with pleural thickening, an asbestos related illness, in March and retired from his job in July.
His job had involved breaking up large blocks of asbestos into small pieces before feeding the material into a hopper to be ground up and mixed with cement. The asbestos material was eventually replaced by a safer substitute material but he believes by this point the damage had already been done.
His brother, Kenneth Jenkins, said: “I feel that his company has let him down and that justice needs to be served. He was not given the proper protection and his health was put at great risk. We want him to get everything he deserves. Companies cannot be allowed to treat their employees this way and just brush off their responsibilities.”
Mr Kendall was unavailable to comment due to his illness.
His lawyer, Andrew James, said: “He is currently suffering with breathlessness and a dry cough and is now seeking to bring a claim for compensation for the injuries that threaten to ruin his retirement.
“He was never warned of the dangers of asbestos and the only mask he was ever given was a paper style mask without any kind of respiratory filter.”
Mr Kendall is currently awaiting further tests to determine the extent of the disease found in his lungs.