Public inquiry will take place on Royston underpass say Hertfordshire County Council
PUBLISHED: 17:24 23 October 2009 | UPDATED: 16:10 11 May 2010
A PUBLIC inquiry into the proposed Royston rail underpass is set to take place early next year. As reported in The Crow last week, the Royston underpass interest group, made up of stakeholders in the project, had concluded that a public inquiry was likel
A PUBLIC inquiry into the proposed Royston rail underpass is set to take place early next year.
As reported in The Crow last week, the Royston underpass interest group, made up of stakeholders in the project, had concluded that a public inquiry was "likely" to take place on planning issues.
And today (Friday) Hertfordshire County Council revealed that it understands the Government Office for the North East, which has been looking at £3.7million scheme, has decided to hold an inquiry.
A council spokesman said: "Hertfordshire County Council understands that the Government Office for the North East has decided that a public inquiry will be necessary for the Royston Rail Underpass project.
"The public inquiry will address the issues raised by respondents to the recently published compulsory purchase order."
Although there is no confirmed date for inquiry, it is expected to be held early in 2010.
Cllr Stuart Pile, executive member for highways and transport at the council, said: "A project of this size is always likely to be the subject of a public inquiry so we are not surprised at this development. In the meantime, we will continue our discussions with local residents."
Compulsory purchase orders were issued last month by the county council to acquire the land needed to build the underpass.
This enraged many local residents, who will be losing parts of their garden, either on a temporary or permanent basis.
Doug Drake, from the underpass interest group, told The Crow last week that he did not believe an inquiry would delay construction of the tunnel, which is set to take place during the Christmas holiday next year.
Letters confirming the public inquiry are expected from the Government Office for the North East next week.