Police to get hand-held computers

PUBLISHED: 19:43 28 May 2008 | UPDATED: 15:47 11 May 2010

POLICE in Herts have been given £1.9 million to invest in hand-held computers. The move comes after Herts Constabulary had success in a bid for Home Office cash. Herts police will share in a £50 million package which has been allocated to the National Pol

POLICE in Herts have been given £1.9 million to invest in hand-held computers.

The move comes after Herts Constabulary had success in a bid for Home Office cash.

Herts police will share in a £50 million package which has been allocated to the National Policing Improvement Agency.

In recent months, Herts police has been a pilot constabulary which has been involved in officers using hand-held personal digital assistants.

Yasmin Batliwala, of the Herts Police Authority, said: "This grant will enable the constabulary to step up its work on cutting bureaucracy for officers."

Deputy chief constable Simon Parr said the introduction of the system would mean that officers would not need to return to a police station to carry out checks.

"We intend to change the way we do business, increasing our responsiveness and our visability," he said.

More than 1,000 systems have already been distributed to officers and the grant will mean a further 1,000 will be available. The plan, too, is to have 300 devices in police vehicles.

Cambridgeshire police, too, made a successful bid for a grant towards introducing the system.

0 comments

More news stories

06:56

With the festive season approaching, Melbourn Amateur Dramatics Society are busy putting the final touches in their annual Christmas pantomime.

Yesterday, 16:55

Garden House Hospice Care held its first Strictly Come Dancing-inspired fundraiser in Letchworth on Saturday, and it was 10s all round on the night.

Yesterday, 12:15

A singing Royston accountant is set to release his debut single – with town businesses and organisations featuring in the charity video.

Yesterday, 11:51

The family of Royston dad-of-three Mitchell Bailey, who died when a fire engine crashed while responding to a 999 call have said their “happy and contented family has been left broken” and they feel the driver “showed no compassion”, after a jury found him not guilty of dangerous driving on Friday last week.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Royston Crow weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy