Plans threatening 1,100 police jobs move forward

PUBLISHED: 09:56 01 July 2012

PLANS to outsource police support staff which threaten 1,100 jobs are a step closer after a police authority agreed to examine the proposals.

Hertfordshire Police Authority made the decision on Monday to look into the cost-cutting measure which would also hit Beds and Cambs.

David Lloyd, chairman of Hertfordshire Police Authority, said: “There is still a lot of work to be undertaken but I am confident that the recommendation that the police authority approved this morning will enable a full assessment of this potential outsourcing approach to be conducted.

“It is our duty to ensure that all possible resources are focused on front line delivery – to ensure that neighbourhood policing is maintained and that when the public need the police in an emergency they are available.”

The changes to human resources, finance and ICT are being considered to tackle the £73 million shortfall in police funding for the three counties imposed by cuts in government funding.

Unison last week slammed the plans claiming it is fighting a losing battle as there is only one option on the table.

For the proposal to move forward, Beds and Cambs Police Authorities will also need to agree the plan.

An existing Lincolnshire Police contract, which has private security firm G4S as the supplier, has inspired the plan as it offers the best value for money.

Should it be approved by all three police authorities or the Police and Crime Commissioners, who are due to be elected at the end of November, outsourced services could be in place by April 2013.

0 comments

More news stories

06:56

With the festive season approaching, Melbourn Amateur Dramatics Society are busy putting the final touches in their annual Christmas pantomime.

Yesterday, 16:55

Garden House Hospice Care held its first Strictly Come Dancing-inspired fundraiser in Letchworth on Saturday, and it was 10s all round on the night.

Yesterday, 12:15

A singing Royston accountant is set to release his debut single – with town businesses and organisations featuring in the charity video.

Yesterday, 11:51

The family of Royston dad-of-three Mitchell Bailey, who died when a fire engine crashed while responding to a 999 call have said their “happy and contented family has been left broken” and they feel the driver “showed no compassion”, after a jury found him not guilty of dangerous driving on Friday last week.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Royston Crow weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy