Ministry of Defence criticised after disciplinary failures see Libyan troops sent home early from Bassingbourn Barracks

PUBLISHED: 08:31 06 November 2014 | UPDATED: 09:16 06 November 2014

Two Libyan men who trained at Bassingbourn Barracks appeared in court today accused of raping a man.

Two Libyan men who trained at Bassingbourn Barracks appeared in court today accused of raping a man.

Archant

A parish council chairman has criticised the ‘unprofessional’ behaviour of the Ministry of Defence after disciplinary failures saw around 300 Libyan troops sent home early from Bassingbourn Barracks.

The decision comes in the wake of two Libyan cadets pleading guilty to the sexual assault of women in Cambridge last week.

Two others training at the Old North Road barracks have been remanded in custody after being charged with the rape of a man in the Christ Pieces area of the city on Sunday, October 26.

Libyan troops arrived at the Old North Road barracks in June for a 24-week course of basic infantry and junior command skills which was due to finish in late November.

Bassingbourn Parish Council chairman Peter Robinson said: “The residents of Bassingbourn cum Kneesworth are very happy with the decision to return the Libyan troops home. The MoD has behaved in a very unprofessional and deceitful manner by allowing trainees to leave the barracks unescorted, after telling the people of Bassingbourn that this would not be the case.

“We all now look forward to normalised relations with the barracks, the return of the use of facilities like the ski club and mostly, feeling safe in our village again following a very stressful and worrying time.”

County councillor Adrian Dent, who represents the Bassingbourn ward, said: “Everyone said there would be issues, but in terms of the extent of the issues, nobody envisaged that the fallout and problems for the barracks would be this appalling.

“The troops are going home now and I am glad that sense has prevailed. But I am saddened that the eventual decision had to be made.

“There is a problem with security at Bassingbourn. The training should be done in a remote area, not a populated one. In America they do their training with Libyan troops in Romania.”

A spokesman for the MoD said: “Training was initially expected to last until the end of November but we have agreed with the Libyan Government that it is best for all involved to bring forward the training completion date.

“The recruits will be returning to Libya in the coming days.

“The majority of recruits have responded positively to the training despite the ongoing political uncertainty in Libya but there have been disciplinary issues.

“The UK remains committed to supporting the Libyan government as it works to establish stability and security across the country.

“And as part of our ongoing support for the Libyan Government, we will review how best to train Libyan security forces – including whether training further tranches of recruits in the UK is the best way forward.”

Moktar Ali Saad Mahmoud, 33, and Ibrahim Abogutila, 22, were charged with raping a man in Cambridge and were remanded in custody on Tuesday.

While Ibrahim Naji el-Maarfi, 20, and Mohammed Abdalsalam, 27, pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual assault last week. Khaled el-Azibi, 18, has also been charged with three counts of sexual assault, but has yet to enter a plea.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Royston Crow visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Royston Crow staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Royston Crow account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 16:00

“Don’t ignore hate – report it.” That is the message that pupils from across Hertfordshire heard at an event marking National Hate Crime Awareness Week.

Yesterday, 14:00

Actress Morwenna Banks (among other television roles, the voice of Mummy Pig in Peppa Pig) and BBC Radio Cambridgeshire presenter Jeremy Sallis both added glamour to this year’s fashion show for Addenbrooke’s Hospital’s Breast Cancer Appeal. Morwenna described how cancer had affected members of her family. Jeremy took part in a Men in Black routine. The show, on Thursday, October 18, had models wearing everything from just bra and pants, to evening wear and bridal.

There are plans for an expanded park and ride in Trumpington, but some are not happy about “nuisance” coaches arriving late at night and early in the morning.

Yesterday, 09:31

Campaigners hoping to stop the 400-year-old Cabinet pub in Reed being turned permanently into a house are urging supporters to turn out in force when the planning appeal is heard in two weeks’ time.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Royston Crow weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy