Marble busts of Roman emperors go on display at Wimpole Hall

15:01 17 May 2014

Roman busts at Wimpole Hall

Roman busts at Wimpole Hall

Archant

Roman emperors have conquered a stately home after four marble statues were put on display.

The busts of four Caesars, which date back to the 17th century and were made in Italy, had been previously on display at Wimpole Hall when the house was privately owned. They were then sold to a private collector, but have been given to the National Trust, which now runs Wimpole Hall, after being accepted by the government as part of the Inheritance Tax in Lieu scheme.

They went on display in Wimpole Hall’s entrance hall on Saturday, alongside a bust of Marcus Aurelius, which was already owned by the National Trust.

Wendy Monkhouse, National Trust curator at Wimpole Hall, said: “Their redisplay in the entrance hall will transform its character, and help visitors to enjoy some of Wimpole’s original 18th century grandeur.

“We can trace the provenance of the busts with Wimpole’s collection to at least the 1770s but they may have been among the possessions of the great collector Edward Harley who loved Roman coins and antiquities as well as enlarging his famous library.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Royston Crow visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Royston Crow staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Royston Crow account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 17:24
DCI Jerome Kent, who led the Helen Bailey murder investigation.

The officer who led the investigation into Royston murderer Ian Stewart has said that following today’s guilty verdict he will be looking into the death of his first wife as well.

Yesterday, 12:41
Ian Stewart has been found guilty of murdering Helen Bailey at their home in Baldock Road, Royston. Picture: Herts police

Ian Stewart has today been found guilty of murdering his partner Helen Bailey who he shared a home with in Royston – here we take a look back at the key points in the St Albans Crown Court trial.

Yesterday, 12:19
Royston murderer Ian Stewart with his partner Helen Bailey, who he has today been found guilty of killing. Photo: Alice Boagey.

Ian Stewart has been found guilty by a jury of murdering his partner, Royston children’s author Helen Bailey.

Yesterday, 13:12
Ian Stewart has been found guilty of murdering his partner Helen Bailey.

The family of Helen Bailey have said that ‘a long shadow has been cast over the lives of so many’ – after Ian Stewart was found guilty of killing the Royston children’s author this afternoon.

”North

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter