Libyan men at Bassingbourn Barracks face sex assault charges

PUBLISHED: 12:01 30 October 2014 | UPDATED: 12:06 30 October 2014

Three men undergoing training at Bassingbourn Barracks have been charged in connection with a series of sexual assaults.

Three men undergoing training at Bassingbourn Barracks have been charged in connection with a series of sexual assaults.

Archant

The Ministry of Defence have confirmed that three Libyan men training at Bassingbourn Barracks have been charged in connection with a series of sexual assaults on women in Cambridge on Sunday.

Khaled El Azibi, 18, Ibrahim Naji El Maarfi, 20 and Mohammed Abdalsalam, 27, are accused of three serious sexual assaults which are alleged to have taken place at about 2am.

Mr El Azibi has been charged with two counts of sexual assault.

Mr Naji El Maarfi has been charged with two counts of sexual assault and one count of exposure.

Mr Abdalsalam has been charged with one count of sexual assault and one count of the use of threatening behaviour towards a police officer.

The three men have been remanded in custody after appearing at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday afternoon.

A spokesman for the British Army said: “We can confirm that three Libyan soldiers undergoing training at Bassingbourn Camp have been charged with offences relating to incidents in Cambridge.

“This is a matter for the civilian police and it would not be appropriate to comment any further at this stage. We have a close working relationship with the Cambridgeshire Police and will continue to assist them in any enquiries”.

Det Insp Sarah Smith said: “I would urge anyone who has any information about this incident or the men responsible to contact police. We are treating this extremely seriously and have a team of officers working on the case. As a precaution patrols have been increased in the city centre.”

Anyone with information should contact police on 101.

More news stories

06:56

With the festive season approaching, Melbourn Amateur Dramatics Society are busy putting the final touches in their annual Christmas pantomime.

Yesterday, 16:55

Garden House Hospice Care held its first Strictly Come Dancing-inspired fundraiser in Letchworth on Saturday, and it was 10s all round on the night.

Yesterday, 12:15

A singing Royston accountant is set to release his debut single – with town businesses and organisations featuring in the charity video.

Yesterday, 11:51

The family of Royston dad-of-three Mitchell Bailey, who died when a fire engine crashed while responding to a 999 call have said their “happy and contented family has been left broken” and they feel the driver “showed no compassion”, after a jury found him not guilty of dangerous driving on Friday last week.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Royston Crow weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy