Jury retires to consider verdict in murder trial of Ian Stewart, accused of murdering Royston author Helen Bailey
PUBLISHED: 14:17 21 February 2017 | UPDATED: 14:18 21 February 2017
The jury has been sent out in the murder trial of Ian Stewart, who is accused of killing Royston author Helen Bailey and dumping her body in a cesspit.
Mr Stewart, 56, is accused of drugging and killing 51-year-old Helen before dumping her body in a cesspit beneath their home in Baldock Road, along with her beloved dachshund Boris, on April 11 last year.
He had originally reported her missing on April 15, before being arrested on suspicion of murder in July.
Mr Stewart, who is originally from Letchworth, told the court that two men he identified only as ‘Joe and Nick’ – associates of her late husband John Sinfield, he said – had kidnapped Helen before returning and dumping her body in the cesspit without his knowledge.
Prosecutor Stuart Trimmer QC put it to Mr Stewart on the witness stand that: “The logical conclusion is it’s either them or you.”
Mr Stewart replied: “That is one logical conclusion, I guess.”
The seven-week trial began on January 10. Ian Stewart denies murder, preventing lawful burial and perverting the course of justice.