History group gets £2,000 award for project

PUBLISHED: 13:30 22 November 2007 | UPDATED: 15:19 12 May 2010

THE Meldreth Local History Group is championing its success after collecting an award worth £2,000. Ann Handscombe, one of the group s committee members, collected the Community Champions Award. Mrs Handscombe, of The High Street in Meldreth, said: We we

THE Meldreth Local History Group is championing its success after collecting an award worth £2,000.

Ann Handscombe, one of the group's committee members, collected the Community Champions Award.

Mrs Handscombe, of The High Street in Meldreth, said: "We were extremely lucky to win and the money has really helped."

The money will be used to provide much-needed equipment for the history group to help its research into the village.

It will also be used to enable the group to record interviews, improve computer skills and continue to preserve village history by uploading images, oral history and records onto the Cambridgeshire County Council Archive website.

The group was set up in May after Mrs Handscombe was left old village records.

She said: "Information, pictures and records were left by my mother-in-law.

"I started putting on exhibitions with old photos and other people started offering me records and pictures.

"I built up so much material I didn't know what to do with it so a few of us set about creating the group.

0 comments

More news stories

06:56

With the festive season approaching, Melbourn Amateur Dramatics Society are busy putting the final touches in their annual Christmas pantomime.

Yesterday, 16:55

Garden House Hospice Care held its first Strictly Come Dancing-inspired fundraiser in Letchworth on Saturday, and it was 10s all round on the night.

Yesterday, 12:15

A singing Royston accountant is set to release his debut single – with town businesses and organisations featuring in the charity video.

Yesterday, 11:51

The family of Royston dad-of-three Mitchell Bailey, who died when a fire engine crashed while responding to a 999 call have said their “happy and contented family has been left broken” and they feel the driver “showed no compassion”, after a jury found him not guilty of dangerous driving on Friday last week.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Royston Crow weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy