Herts Police waste £12,500 on “flabbergasting” case against Private Eye magazine

PUBLISHED: 13:00 19 December 2017 | UPDATED: 15:32 19 December 2017

Private Eye editor Ian Hislop. Photo: Toby Madden info@tobymadden.com.

Private Eye editor Ian Hislop. Photo: Toby Madden info@tobymadden.com.

Archant

Herts police wasted £12,500 of taxpayers’ money on a court case against Private Eye, it has been revealed.

The force, whose Commissioner wants more money from council tax next year, wanted the satirical magazine to hand over a list of subscribers in the county.

When Private Eye refused, the police sought a production order under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1985.

This was rejected by a crown court judge, but not before £12,500 had been spent by the cops, according to The Times.

A police spokesperson said: “Hertfordshire Constabulary treat all allegations of hate crime seriously and will actively pursue enquiries that may help to identify those who commit these horrible crimes.

“On this occasion Private Eye has decided not to assist in the police investigation and that is a matter for them.

“We will continue to investigate allegations of hate crime thoroughly using all of our available resources.”

The application was made after a Muslim woman who worked at Hatfield police station was sent a joke about the Manchester terrorist attacks.

The joke had been cut from a June copy of the Eye and sent through the force’s internal mail.

Meaning it must have been sent by a police officer or a member of staff.

Private Eye’s editor Ian Hislop said on the magazine’s podcast: “It is pretty flabbergasting.

“The strangeness of the case was absolutely bizarre.

“We did try and cooperate and explain perhaps this was not a subscriber, perhaps they had bought it in a shop, or perhaps they have been given it by a friend, or they’d photocopied a cartoon from someone who had sent it over the internet.

“It did strike me the essential detective work didn’t seem to have been done - and we did try and explain that.

“But then they took us to court anyway and we didn’t have any choice, we had to get in a barrister to defend us.

“But happily the judge threw the case out.”

Judge David Farrell QC also told Herts police to pay costs for both sides.

Several former police officers wrote letters to the magazine criticising Herts police after their attempts became public.

To hear the full podcast, visit soundcloud.com/privateeyenews

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Royston Crow visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Royston Crow staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Royston Crow account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

06:56

With the festive season approaching, Melbourn Amateur Dramatics Society are busy putting the final touches in their annual Christmas pantomime.

Yesterday, 16:55

Garden House Hospice Care held its first Strictly Come Dancing-inspired fundraiser in Letchworth on Saturday, and it was 10s all round on the night.

Yesterday, 12:15

A singing Royston accountant is set to release his debut single – with town businesses and organisations featuring in the charity video.

Yesterday, 11:51

The family of Royston dad-of-three Mitchell Bailey, who died when a fire engine crashed while responding to a 999 call have said their “happy and contented family has been left broken” and they feel the driver “showed no compassion”, after a jury found him not guilty of dangerous driving on Friday last week.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Royston Crow weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy