Former press officer to Britain’s top cops pleads guilty to child porn charges

15:04 28 January 2012

Nicholas White admitted child porn charges yesterday (Friday)

Nicholas White admitted child porn charges yesterday (Friday)

Archant

A FORMER press officer for Britain’s top police officers yesterday (Friday) admitted possessing more than 110,000 child porn and bestiality images.

Nicholas White, of Royston, a press officer for the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO), pleaded guilty to 22 counts of making and possessing indecent images of children at Cambridge Crown Court.

The 27-year-old was caught with 102 level five images of children - the most depraved category.

Officers also uncovered more than 3,000 other pornographic images of under 16s on an external hard drive during the search on January 18, 2011.

White was also found to be in possession of a total of 781 pornographic movies featuring children - nine of which were rated level five.

He also pleaded guilty to a possession of ten images depicting bestiality.

Nerida Harford-Bell, mitigating, said her client was so full of self-loathing he had referred himself to a doctor.

She said: “This man is very isolated and in this isolation this addiction has grown since his mid-teens.”

Judge Gareth Hawkesworth added: “For so young an age I regard a full psychiatric report to be absolutely essential.”

In total White was found to be in possession of 110,510 images of children and 781 videos.

The court was told White had a history of self harm.

He was ordered to sign the sex offenders register and the case was adjourned for sentencing on the week commencing March 12.

His bail was extended on the condition that he refrain from contact with minors except for in the presence of their parents and continued to not access the internet or any other file sharing programme.

A bail extention was granted on the condition he refrain from contact with minors except for in the presence of their parents and continued to not access the internet or any other file sharing programme.

Cambridgeshire Constabulary confirmed he had been hired by the force in June 2008, carrying out work for ACPO until his resignation on February 24 2011.

The force said White’s resignation as a communications officer came after his arrest and suspension a month earlier.

A police spokesman said: “All applications for employment with the constabulary are subject to rigorous checks and vetting, including the examination of criminal records and employment history.

“Any allegations against employees are fully investigated and disciplinary action and, if necessary, criminal proceedings will be instigated if appropriate.”

White’s role with the force was as a communications officer for a unit called the National Extremism Tactical Coordination Unit (or NETCU).

Following his guilty plea yesterday White was sacked from his current job as a press officer at the Royal Society of Chemistry, he had been working in the post since last April, after leaving his position at ACPO.

0 comments

43 minutes ago
A car was stolen from outside a bank in Royston.

A car was stolen from outside a Royston bank on Sunday afternoon as the driver stopped to use the cash machine.

Roadworks down Melbourn High Street started on Monday. Credit: Clive Porter.

Melbourn traders have voice their anger about the relaying of a road surface outside their businesses in the run-up to Christmas.

Yesterday, 18:01
The Local Plan will be discussed at the full North Herts District Council meeting tonight.

A draft plan which will shape the future makeup of North Herts will be discussed tonight before a public consultation is launched.

Yesterday, 15:51
A planning application has been submitted for approximately 200 homes in Melbourn.

An application has now been submitted for around 200 new homes to be built off New Road in Melbourn.

”North

Most read stories

E-edition