Development of 20 homes planned for village

PUBLISHED: 14:42 16 January 2013 | UPDATED: 14:42 16 January 2013

A DEVELOPMENT of 20 homes, including social housing, could be built in a village.

A planning application for the site in Station Road, Ashwell, has been submitted to North Herts district council.

The development would consist of 15 three-bedroom houses, five two-bedroom houses, two double garages, car parking, access road, landscaping and a crossover and pedestrian access.

The application is being supported and recommended for approval by Ashwell Parish Council, and also outlines plans for seven affordable houses.

But several neighbouring residents to the development have written to the district council objecting to the plans.

In a report to the district council’s planning committee, one neighbour said the volume of traffic on Station Road is “already bad, and would be made worse and dangerous”. They also note that Ashwell School may not cope with the additional pressure.

Another objector cites the environmental impact the development would have on trees and wildlife such as the area’s bat population.

Cllr Andrew Young, the ward’s district councillor, said: “Affordable housing is something that the village needs, and this will ensure that people do not leave the village. I think this would be good for the village of Ashwell subject to discussions at the meeting.”

The district council’s planning officer recommends the scheme be granted approval, and a final decision will be made when the planning committee meets today (Thursday).

0 comments

More news stories

06:56

With the festive season approaching, Melbourn Amateur Dramatics Society are busy putting the final touches in their annual Christmas pantomime.

Yesterday, 16:55

Garden House Hospice Care held its first Strictly Come Dancing-inspired fundraiser in Letchworth on Saturday, and it was 10s all round on the night.

Yesterday, 12:15

A singing Royston accountant is set to release his debut single – with town businesses and organisations featuring in the charity video.

Yesterday, 11:51

The family of Royston dad-of-three Mitchell Bailey, who died when a fire engine crashed while responding to a 999 call have said their “happy and contented family has been left broken” and they feel the driver “showed no compassion”, after a jury found him not guilty of dangerous driving on Friday last week.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Royston Crow weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy