Campaigners hopeful after plea for better access at village station

08:35 19 June 2014

Cllr Susan Van de Ven, district cllr Philippa Hart, Janet Cottenden with Anna 2 and Martha 1

Cllr Susan Van de Ven, district cllr Philippa Hart, Janet Cottenden with Anna 2 and Martha 1

Archant

Campaigners are hopeful much-needed access for wheelchairs and buggies will be installed at a village station after a meeting with rail bosses.

Campaigners are hopeful much-needed disabled access will be installed at a village station after a meeting with rail bosses.

Network Rail recently made changes to pedestrian access at Shepreth Station, including the removal of the station’s ramp. This has not yet been replaced.

A meeting took place at the station on Tuesday involving Marcus Jones, Network Rail’s regional manager, and representatives of the Meldreth Foxton and Shepreth Rail User Group, who have been asking for the ramp to be restored.

Cllr Susan van de Ven, who chairs the group, said: “We are pleased to report that a high quality disabled access ramp will be installed from the London-bound platform to the car park in the near future. This will lead people to Station Road and a safe crossing point over the tracks to the Cambridge-bound platform. We were not able to get a specific work date but the aspiration is to have this done sometime over the summer.

“We feel confident that Network Rail understands the local view that full accessibility needs to be restored to the station as soon as possible. While previous accessibility was not Disability Discrimination Act compliant, it was still, in practice, much better than nothing at all.”

The Rail User Group had called for access changes at the station to prevent pedestrians from crossing the tracks when level crossing barriers are down. However, Cllr van de Ven said the results of the work, which was carried out earlier this month, had been mixed.

She said: “We were pleased when Network Rail first outlined its proposed modification to the station layout, which consisted of a path taking pedestrians round the back of the station building, with a ramp in place of the small flight of steps. However, the modifications that have now been implemented are quite different.

“A significant area of greenery adjacent to the car park has been tarmacked, without any significant benefit and adding unnecessary extra expense. We are perplexed that a derelict and dangerous small structure has been left in place and is no longer fenced off as before.”

She added that the Rail User Group would continue to campaign for full automatic barriers at the crossing near the station to further deter people from taking risks.

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Royston Crow visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Royston Crow staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Royston Crow account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Yesterday, 18:01
The Local Plan will be discussed at the full North Herts District Council meeting tonight.

A draft plan which will shape the future makeup of North Herts will be discussed tonight before a public consultation is launched.

Yesterday, 15:51
A planning application has been submitted for approximately 200 homes in Melbourn.

An application has now been submitted for around 200 new homes to be built off New Road in Melbourn.

Yesterday, 11:56
The fire at Bridgefoot Quarry is expected to burn for the next seven days.

A county councillor has claimed that the large wood recycling plant near Melbourn which continues to burn out is a drain on the public purse.

Yesterday, 08:31
Back row left to right Don's daughter-in-law Lee Ann West, Melbourn county councillor Susan van de Ven and Melbourn district councillor Val Barrett. Front row Southwell Court resident Don West and Melbourn district councillor Jose Hales.

The group which is closing a care home in Melbourn has been accused of dishonest behaviour by concerned councillors.

”North

Most read stories

E-edition