October 22 2014 Latest news:
By Matthew Gooding
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
A parish council says the restoration of a railway link to a disused quarry should not be used as a ‘Trojan horse’ to undermine a community’s fears about housing plans.
Work has started on clearing the light railway, which runs from Barrington quarry and cement works to the main line at Foxton.
Owners of the quarry, CEMEX, are carrying out the work, which is set to be completed by December. The railway will then be used to transport 1.2million cubic metres of waste material to fill in the quarry, paving the way for the land to be used for a development of up to 220 homes.
However, Barrington Parish Council says it remains opposed to any housing development on the site.
Valerie Tookey, clerk to the parish council, said: “Barrington Parish Council remains fundamentally opposed to any housing being built at the defunct CEMEX site.
“The council welcomes the limited re-opening of the railway access to the site so that CEMEX can fulfil its long-standing obligations to restore the void that it created at the quarry.
“The council has been consulted by CEMEX regarding its separate proposals to build hundreds of houses on the site of the old works.
“The council is fundamentally opposed to the housing proposals as is the local community. Barrington and other local councils are actively campaigning against the proposed housing which is not included in the Local Plan. It will put additional intolerable pressure on local schools, health care, roads and services.”
Plans for the houses were revealed in the Crow last year, and an application is set to be submitted in September. If approved, they could see Barrington double in size.
Mrs Tookey added: “The railway link should not be used as a ‘Trojan horse’ to undermine the legitimate concerns of the local community.”
CEMEX says housing development is the only viable option for the site, which was mothballed in 2008. They have pledged to build recreational facilities and amenities alongside houses.