Barrier scheme to go ahead

PUBLISHED: 12:03 09 November 2006 | UPDATED: 14:54 12 May 2010

A controversial £1,000 barrier will be installed at the Seth Ward Community Centre in Buntingford. It will be erected within the next two months to combat anti-social behaviour at the site, even though deputy town clerk, Eddie Plume said the problem had i

A controversial £1,000 barrier will be installed at the Seth Ward Community Centre in Buntingford.

It will be erected within the next two months to combat anti-social behaviour at the site, even though deputy town clerk, Eddie Plume said the problem had improved during recent weeks.

Councillors, however, are concerned that they will not be able to find anyone to lock and unlock it.

So when the barrier is first installed it will be kept open.

At a meeting last month, Councillor Jean Cook said it would be another 'burden'.

Town mayor Councillor John Noades agreed.

After the meeting he said: "It will mean that people will still be able to drive into the car park until a person is found to lock and unlock the barrier.

"And even if the barrier is closed, people will still be able to drive over the footpath and over the grass verge.

"It may even create more problems."

Herts police proposed that the council install the barrier because they were concerned about noise pollution and litter at the site.

Buntingford Sgt Alison Farrell said: "There are some issues with youths using the car park as a gathering place.

"And although we could increase patrols, it needs a long-term solution and it was felt that putting up a barrier would stop people using it until late.

0 comments

More news stories

06:56

With the festive season approaching, Melbourn Amateur Dramatics Society are busy putting the final touches in their annual Christmas pantomime.

Yesterday, 16:55

Garden House Hospice Care held its first Strictly Come Dancing-inspired fundraiser in Letchworth on Saturday, and it was 10s all round on the night.

Yesterday, 12:15

A singing Royston accountant is set to release his debut single – with town businesses and organisations featuring in the charity video.

Yesterday, 11:51

The family of Royston dad-of-three Mitchell Bailey, who died when a fire engine crashed while responding to a 999 call have said their “happy and contented family has been left broken” and they feel the driver “showed no compassion”, after a jury found him not guilty of dangerous driving on Friday last week.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Royston Crow weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy