July 28 2014 Latest news:
Saturday, April 19, 2014
An offical date has yet to be set for the arrival of up to 2,000 Libyan troops at Bassingbourn barracks - despite Arabic signs being posted around the perimeter.
The signs, which feature warnings in both English and Arabic, have been spotted by residents in the last few weeks.
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) announced last July that Libyan troops undergo a 10-week stay at the barracks as part of an agreement drawn up by Britain and the other G8 nations.
They said the training is a bid to professionalise the Libyan armed forces and “help them achieve peace and stability across their country”.
Mike Hallett, chairman of Bassingbourn Parish Council, said: “I have yet to be told when the Libyan soldiers will be arriving. I believe they were originally due to arrive in December and then again in March. I think it has now been pushed back once again.
“I was assured by the MoD I would be consulted with any new information and I will be fully involved with the local consultation process.”
The MoD was criticised by residents last year following the closure of Bassingbourn Golf Club, based at the barracks, to make way for the Libyan training operation.