Anger over “mini mountain range” of dumped rubbish in South Cambridgeshire

Rubbish dumped at Flint Cross Rubbish dumped at Flint Cross

Thursday, May 1, 2014
8:05 AM

The rubbish heaps - which amount to around 4,000 tonnes - have been created near Flint Cross, on the A505 between Fowlmere and Royston.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Fowlmere parish council has been asking Cambridgeshire County Council to force the landowner to remove the rubbish, but say nothing has been done for months.

Cllr Deborah Roberts, chairman of Fowlmere Parish Council said: “These huge mountains of waste at Flint Cross behind cottages are still in place.

“Out county councillor Peter Topping had told us he was speaking to Cambridgeshire County Council about to take legal proceedings against it all. But we haven’t seen it go down in size, and if you drive in on the A505 and turn off at Flint Cross you’re greeted with an absolute mountain of stuff.”

At the parish council’s meeting at the end of April, councillors vowed to keep up the pressure on the county council.

Cllr Roberts added: “This has been going on for months and months we don’t seem to have any real surge from the county council to do anything about it. It’s not just a lorry-load, it’s like a mini mountain-range. At Fowlmere Parish Council we want to see this resolved, no one should be allowed to get round the system.”

Syed Akhtar and his wife Ilyas Akhtar own Dotrell Farm on which the waste was placed.

They pleaded guilty at Cambridge Magistrates Court on April 17 to being in breach of an enforement notice by Cambridgeshire County Council for failing to remove all wood waste and not returning it to agricultural use by June 2013.

Each of the charges carry a maximum penalty of £20,000 and the magistrate referred it onto the Crown Court for sentencing.

The couple have until July 31 to return the land to it’s original condition.

The Crow contacted Mr Akhtar who said he had been misled by a different company who dumped far more waste that the council gave them permission to and have no disappeared, leaving him to foot the bill.

Cllr Topping said: “I am glad this decision has been made but I have concerns about how long the rubbish will take to be removed.

“The county council will get there in the end but all the while the residents of Foulmere have to live with this unpleasant eyesore.”

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Royston Crow visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Royston Crow staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Royston Crow account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

North Herts Homes

 

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Homes24
Jobs24
Drive24
LocalSearch24
MyDate24
MyPhotos24
FamilyNotices24
Weddingsite

Click here to read more of our digital publications
Paper delivery enquiries Retailers List Herts Business Awards Herts Most Wanted

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT